Do you struggle to find clients for your Virtual Assistant Biz?
I see this question almost daily on Social Media – “How Do I Find Clients?” And, I’ve been where you are – I remember desperately wanting to land that first or second client but clueless how to go about it. I didn’t know anything about marketing or sales other than that it made me feel kinda icky and nervous when I thought about selling anything!
So… I’m writing a series of blogs to help those of you struggling with this same issue. This is the first in the series and consists of mostly questions you need to ask yourself. Remember, don’t overthink it, go with the answers that come to you first. There are NO wrong answers here <grin>.
Let’s get started!
In this blog post I want to give you 5 tips that I wish I had when I was first starting out. Why? Because they really do make a HUGE difference when it comes to finding clients and being successful.
First… Two things you need to remember…
- Marketing is the key to success.
- It’s all about awareness.
Actually, these two go hand in hand and are at the core of how to be successful in any business.
In order to find clients they have to know you exist (awareness) and you need to share (marketing) your brilliance with them.
You can’t be everything to everyone – you have to choose who you want to work with. And, this can be scary for many (it was for me) since when you have a job you really don’t get to choose.
Tip #1 – Who are they? Ask yourself the following:
- Who do you want to help or work with?
- Is there an industry you are naturally drawn to?
- What is your passion?
- It does not have to be where your expertise is – you can learn what you need!
Once you figure out who, it’s all about finding them. They can’t be aware of you if they don’t know about you.
Tip #2 – Where are they? Ask yourself the following:
- Where can you find them online?
- Where can you find them offline?
- Do you already know people who can help you find “them”?
Everyone has a problem they need solved and they are willing to pay for it. This is why businesses exist ;-).
Tip #3 – What problem(s) do you solve for them? Ask yourself the following:
- Do they have a specific problem unique to their industry?
- Does your expertise solve a specific problem?
Marketing is all about benefits and solutions NOT you or your resume. It’s all about what you do for your clients, NOT what you do or who you are.
Tip #4 – How do you solve them? Ask yourself the following:
- What skills do you have that will help solve their problem(s)?
- Do you have an expertise that they need?
Now you know who, where & what, it’s all about Awareness & Value. Time to share your brilliance. Show them how working with you will solve their problems and make a difference. Provide value!
Tip #5 – How are you making them aware of you? Ask yourself the following:
- Are you blogging about the problems you solve?
- Are you showing up online and/or offline where “they” are?
- How are you providing value?
Whew…. you made it! Congratulations. Now hold on to your answers because we’ll need them for next week’s blog.
The beauty of marketing and awareness is once you figure it out all, you can implement a plan to rinse and repeat!
Did you complete the questions? I would love to know, please take a moment to leave me a comment below and share your thoughts and questions. Or, feel free to share what you learned from this blog.
Thank you for reading!