If you are just starting out these must-have tools for Virtual Assistants will help you to set up your VA biz faster and with less overwhelm. I hope this podcast episode and blog post will help you get the overview you’ve been looking for. I’ve also added a handy checklist that you can download for free and use as a reference.
This post is part of The Ultimate VA Success Guide: How To Start A VA Business In 2022. Below you’ll find an overview of all blog posts it includes:
- Setting Up A VA Business Without Getting Stuck In Analysis Paralysis
- Ready To Create Your VA Business Plan? Start With These 9 Untypical Questions
- The 4 VA Key Business Systems That Will Make Or Break Your VA Business
- The 5 VA Business Operations Systems That Will Make Your Biz Run Smoothly!
- Set Up These 16 Must-Have Tools For VAs Before You Launch Your Biz!
A Few Housekeeping Items
- This ‘must-have tools for Virtual Assistants’ list is based on my experience
- Start with the free versions of tools and invest when you have the money
- Try before you buy!
- Try different versions of the same type of tool to find the right one for you.
- Most have either a free version or a 30-day trial
- Use my handy checklist for recommendations or ask friends and colleagues for theirs. You can download it below.
Click here + download the Free Techie Tools Checklist
My List Of Must-Have Tools For Virtual Assistants When Starting Out
#1 Task Management Tool
- I think that this is the MOST important must-have tool for Virtual Assistants. It helps you keep track of everything you need to do for your clients and your own business.
- Look for one that includes reports and can track time.
- I highly recommend that you try at least 3 different tools to find the right one for you. There are dozens of them on the market and they all have similar features but they work differently.
- Try the same project in each one so you can see how they work and if they work for you.
#2 E-Signature Tool
Another must-have tool for Virtual Assistants because it’s used for getting electronic signatures on documents including:
#3 Payment Processor
- Used for accepting online payments
#4 Invoicing Tool
- Make sure that integrates with your payment processor.
- Look for features such as recurring invoices, reporting, and even a client portal.
#5 Office Suite Or Similar
- Day-to-day tools including a word processor, spreadsheet program, etc.
#6 Email Management Tool
- Used to manage your email inbox
#7 Communication + Screen Sharing
- Makes it easy to communicate with your clients and even share your screen with them.
#8 Cloud Storage
- Allows you to access your documents from any device that has an internet connection.
- You can set up folders for clients too!
#9 Online Calendar
- Allows you to access your calendar from any device that has an internet connection.
#10 Appointment Scheduler
- Makes it easy for your clients to automatically schedule appointments on your calendar.
#11 Graphics Tool
Something that is simple to use to help you create graphics for things like:
- Social media posts and profiles
- Your website
#12 Online Note Tool
- Great for note-taking and easily accessible online.
#13 VPN (Virtual Private Network)
This tool is a must-have tool for Virtual Assistants that use free networks at places such as the:
- Coffee shop
Your information is free for taking on open and free networks, be sure to protect yourself and your clients by using a VPN tool to secure your data.
If you want to be seen as a professional and you want to charge premium rates you need a website.
- Another reason is you don’t own your social media profiles and can be removed at any time.
- If that happens you have NO web presence and that’s not a good thing for someone who runs a virtual business.
- Having a website is a crucial part of Digital Marketing – which you should be embracing as a “digital” business. That’s why it’s a must-have tool for Virtual Assistants.
#15 Web Hosting
Depending on the type of website (I’m a WordPress Gal) you’ll need a simple starter hosting plan.
- These usually include emails at no extra charge which is great because you should have a branded email too!
- Branded email means using your business name NOT Gmail or Yahoo.
#16 Email Marketing Tool
- You should be embracing all things Digital Marketing for marketing your business and that includes email and list building.
Whew… that’s my list of ‘must-have tools for Virtual Assistants’ when starting out. Be sure to download the techie tools checklist it includes details on why you need the tool and actual tool recommendations.
Don’t forget to leave a comment if you found this information useful. I’d love to hear from you.
Thanks for reading – Susan
P.S. If you're ready to invest in yourself and a professional future, please check out my VA Success Training. It's for people that are serious about running a successful Online Business. It includes everything you need from business set-up, getting clients, client management, a WP website, coaching, a supportive community, and so much more.