Setting clear boundaries and communicating them, especially with your clients is fundamental. Being in the service industry and hungry to get clients, many Virtual Assistants allow their clients to set their schedule instead of the other way around.
Reasons For Setting Clear Boundaries
- You are setting an expectation by allowing your clients to dictate your schedule.
- You will burn out!
- Your health will suffer.
- Everything else takes a back seat to your business.
- You start to resent your clients.
I left Corporate America so I could have more freedom. I ended up working longer and harder for less money when I first started my VA business because I said YES to everything. I quickly paid the price with my health and sanity.
Setting boundaries is part of being a business owner as is learning how to say No! If you have clients that are not respecting your boundaries, it is time to have a chat with them and reset expectations. Take charge of your own schedule. Remember…
- It is your business and you do not work for them. You are not their employee!
- It is important for you to have a work-life balance – you cannot work 24×7, I know I’ve tried.
- You do not have to say yes to everything. Say No and stand your ground.
- You started your business for a reason, remember what that reason is, and build a business that supports it.
Make sure you read my post on how to manage Virtual Assistant clients. It will give you many useful tips on how to set clear expectations and how to avoid frustrating experiences. My Ultimate VA Success Guide: How To Start A VA Business will also help you to set up your professional VA business with clear structures from the beginning.
Have you set boundaries in your business? Please take a moment to leave me a comment and share your thoughts.
Thanks for reading and listening – Susan
P.S. If you're ready to invest in yourself and a professional future, please check out my VA Success Training. It's for people that are serious about running a successful Online Business. It includes everything you need from business set-up, getting clients, client management, a WP website, coaching, a supportive community, and so much more.