Do your clients know your boundaries?
Are they clear?
Have you communicated to them?
Being in the service industry and hungry to get clients, many Virtual Assistants allow their clients to set their schedule instead of the other way around. This is a problem in oh so many ways.
- You are setting an expectation by allowing your clients to dictate your schedule.
- You will burn out!
- Your health will suffer.
- Everything else takes a back seat to your business.
- You start to resent your clients.
I left Corporate America so I could have more freedom. I ended up working longer and harder for less money when I first started my VA business because I said YES to everything. I quickly paid the price with my health and sanity.
- It is your business and you do not work for them. You are not their employee!
- It is important for you to have a work-life balance – you cannot work 24×7, I know I’ve tried.
- You do not have to say yes to everything. Say NO and stand your ground.
- You started your business for a reason, remember what that reason is and build a business that supports it.
Setting boundaries is part of being a business owner as is learning how to say No! If you have client’s that are not respecting your boundaries, it is time to have a chat with them and reset expectations. Take charge of your own schedule.
Creating a Business Policies document is a great way to set your boundaries with clients. Feel free to check out my VA Biz Bundle that includes my Business Policies Template.
Have you set boundaries in your business?
What do you think?
I’d love to hear your comments. Please take a moment to leave me a comment and share your thoughts.
Please share if you know someone who might benefit from this information. The share buttons are below the post.
If you’re looking for more details on how to start or scale your VA business including how to specialize by learning in-demand skills, join my FREE VA Training Vault. You’ll get instant access to how-to video training for Virtual Assistants that want to create a successful business.
Thanks for reading!
Enjoy your day – Susan
I’m Susan Mershon and I started The Techie Mentor ™ in 2013 to teach Virtual Assistants my no fluff approach to the systems and skills they need to build + run a successful business. My focus is on teaching you the high end skills clients want and the systems to take those skills and offer them as a service professional.