Virtual Assistant Business Operations: The Day To Day Stuff
What does Virtual Assistant Business Operations mean and why is it important?
Well, this blog post is going to deep dive the day to day systems that run your VA business.
Welcome to the fourth blog post in the Setting up a Virtual Assistant Business series.
If you haven’t read the first blog post in this series, I invite you to do so before jumping into this one.
So, let’s talk about what I call Virtual Assistant Business Operations.
The things you must do to keep your business running – the day to day stuff.
- Doing client work (tasks)
- Talking with clients
- Interviewing prospective clients
- Answering emails
- Answering phone calls
- Tracking time
- Marketing your business
- Troubleshooting issues
- Running reports
Why do you need to have to systems for all this stuff?
Remember, I mentioned in an earlier blog post that a business is a system.
No system = no business.
It’s all about having repeatable processes.
Being efficient and effective.
Looking professional to your clients and prospects.
Automation = Freedom.
Automating what you do every day, week or month to keep your business running, will free up your precious time.
Not to mention, brain space.
Because you’ve created systems and automated them, you can focus on other things besides running your business.
So, let’s get started.
To make it simple, I’m organizing similar type tasks into systems.
Please note: there maybe overlap between the systems since tasks are related.
Here are the day to day systems for running your business.
- Client Management
- Task Management
- Email Management
- Business Management
- Prospect Management
Let’s take a look at the tasks in each of these systems, starting with Client Management.
Feel free to download the Day to Day Business Systems Infograph below. It summarizes the key business systems I’m covering in this blog post.
The Client Management System
This system is all about managing the relationship with your client and the work you do for them. Ask yourself, how do you manage the following for your clients? If you don’t know, now is the time to make some decisions and start drafting your client management system.
- Tasks or To-do’s
- How do clients assign tasks to you?
- What types of information do they need to include? Things like due date, files, etc.
- Status Updates or Calls
- How do you let your clients know the status of the tasks you’re working on?
- How often do you talk to them?
- Delivering Completed Work – Tasks
- How do you deliver completed work?
- Do they sign off on it?
- What do they do if there are changes?
- What do clients do if they have an issue?
- How is it addressed?
- What’s your overall communication process?
- How do you prefer to communicate with them?
- How often?
- Quality work
- Do you test your work before you deliver it?
- If so, what is that process?
- What tools do you use to work with clients? Tools such as DropBox for storage, Skype for communicating, Teamwork for task management, etc.
- Onboarding new clients
- What’s your process for onboarding new clients?
The Task Management System
This system is all about managing your day-to-day tasks, deadlines and workload. Ask yourself, how do you manage your daily to-do’s (tasks)? If you don’t know, now is the time to make some decisions and start drafting your task management system.
- The Tool
- What tool are you using?
- Does your client have access to their project?
- What’s your current workload?
- How do you know if you can take on more tasks or meet a new deadline?
- How are you tracking billable hours?
- Tracking Time & Tasks
- How do you track time on tasks?
- Do you round up to the quarter hour or bill to the minute?
- How do you track retainer hours?
- How are the deadlines assigned?
- How do you know if you can meet them?
- Do you provide weekly status reports for clients?
- Task Assignments
- How do you get new tasks?
- How do you get notified of changes to tasks?
- Client Management
- How do clients use your Task Management tool?
- Your Business
- How do you manage your business tasks?
- Things like follow-ups
- Business tasks
The Email Management System
This system is all about managing your email and inbox. Ask yourself, how do you manage your email and organize your inbox? If you don’t know, now is the time to make some decisions and start drafting your email management system.
- How often do you check your email?
- Do you leave your Inbox open all day?
- How quickly do you respond to emails?
- Is there an average time?
- What email program do you use?
- Do you use tools for scheduling emails?
- What do you include in your signature?
- Auto Responders
- Do you use auto-responders when you’re out of the office?
- How do you organize your Inbox? By client folders?
The Business Management System
This system is all about managing your business operations. Ask yourself, how do you manage your business? If you don’t know, now is the time to make some decisions and start drafting your business management system.
- How often do you send out invoices?
- Do you charge a late fee?
- Office Hours
- What hours are you available during the week?
- Do you only work on certain days of the week?
- Holiday Schedule
- What holidays do you take off?
- What’s your vacation policy?
- What kind of notice do you give your clients?
- How do you accept payments?
- What tools do you use?
- Are payments refundable?
- What tools do you use to run your business?
- Do you offer a referral program?
- If so, what is it?
- Trusted Partners
- Do you have a Trusted Partner that your clients can turn to when you’re unavailable?
- For more information on Trusted Partners, click here.
- Moving On
- What is your process for firing a client?
The Prospect Management System
This system is all about managing prospective clients. Ask yourself, how do you interview prospective clients? If you don’t know, now is the time to make some decisions and start drafting your prospect management system.
- Discovery session process
- Do you have a discovery session process?
- Follow up
- How and when do you follow up?
- Do you have a questionnaire you use?
- Sales Conversations
- Do you have a sales script?
- How do you handle common objections?
Check out my Discovery Session System workshop – it walks you through setting up your own system for interviewing potential clients and then closing the sale. It’s the exact system I use to this day – and it works.
If you need a step-by-step action plan that walks you through all of these systems and the basic must haves you need for a successful VA business – check out my VA Action Plan.
What day to day systems do you have
implemented in your business?
Feel free to post below and let me know what action you’re taking today to implement your day to day systems.
I’d love to hear from you.
All comments + questions are welcome.
If you know someone who might benefit from this information, please share. You can use the share buttons below the post.
HERE ARE A FEW RELATED BLOG POSTS THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST:
- Do You Have a Trusted Partner + Why You Need To
- How Many Clients Do You Really Need
- Are Your Business Policies Documented
- Working With Clients
If you’re looking for more details on how to start or scale your VA business including how to specialize by learning in-demand skills, join my FREE VA Training Vault. You’ll get instant access to how-to video training for Virtual Assistants that want to create a successful business.
Thanks for reading – Susan
Don’t forget to leave a comment if you found this information useful – I’d love to hear from you!
Susan Mershon started The Techie Mentor ™ in 2013 to teach Virtual Assistants the systems + skills they need to build + run a successful business. With a strong base in project management, Susan brings her love of systems and teaching to offer training and mentoring to new and experienced Virtual Assistants. She’s taken all the programs, systems and tools she has taught to thousands of Virtual Assistants and created a signature system that helps them build a successful business + learn the skills they need to get clients + succeed with ZERO fluff or hype… Just the stuff that GETS GREAT RESULTS.