Ever wondered about the hurdles freelancers face when they shift from selling expertise to navigating the maze of selling time?
Well, picture this – you’re diving headfirst into the freelancing universe, ready to conquer the world. Exciting, right? But hold up because there’s a twist in the tale. Today, let’s chat about something that hits close to home for many of us freelancers, consultants, and virtual assistants – the tricky art of selling time instead of expertise. Trust me, I’ve been there at the start of my own business, grappling with these challenges, and I’m here to spill the beans on the highs, lows, and everything in between.
The Intangibility of Time:
- Time is elusive and challenging to convey its value compared to pre-packaged services.
- Clients may struggle to understand the effort and expertise within a specific timeframe, leading to potential misunderstandings.
Subjectivity in Perceived Value:
- The perceived value of time varies among individuals based on mindset, social influences, and personal experiences.
- Clients may not universally appreciate the effort and expertise invested in the time spent on a project.
- Conveying the expertise and skill embedded in time spent on tasks can be challenging.
- Clients may focus more on the time spent than the knowledge and experience applied, especially for tasks outside their expertise.
Lack of Immediate Tangible Outcomes:
- Selling time may not align with clients’ expectations for immediate tangible outcomes, leading to confusion about what they receive.
Competition and Pricing Pressures:
- Selling time introduces challenges in conveying the value provided compared to selling pre-defined service packages.
- Clients may be more inclined to shop based on price when dealing with hourly rates, potentially leading to pricing pressures and the need to justify rates.
The Solution: Starting with Service Packages
How about starting your business off the bat with service packages?
It’s like skipping the headache of tracking time, which, let’s be honest, I’m terrible at. No more forgetting to start or stop the timer and constantly second-guessing if I’ve charged enough.
Packages bring clarity – clients know precisely what they’re getting, and you can focus on delivering your expertise without the time-related stress.
Wrapping it up, my friends – selling time comes with its fair share of challenges. But if you’re dipping your toes into the freelance waters, why not jump straight into offering service packages?
I even have a free packaging webinar waiting for you – click here to watch at your convenience.
Thanks a bunch for reading, and I’ll catch up with you next time!
P.S. Ready to be paid for your expertise, not your time? Transform your business with the Lucrative Packages Playbook—experience increased income, time freedom, and a scalable model. Get paid for your expertise, not your time, and enjoy an easier, more effective approach to marketing and selling. Dive in now: [Lucrative Packages Playbook]