Have you been tempted to work for free or for a testimonial when starting your business? Or, when offering a new service? This is something I see asked about all the time on social media.
As you may know, I am NOT an advocate of working for FREE or for a testimonial (really it’s the same thing – it’s still free). Remember… just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s not valuable. If you don’t value your expertise however you sell it, no one else will. It all starts with you!
If you’d rather listen to this than reading it please check out the podcast below.
Now, I get the fact when you’re doing something new you’re a bit nervous or even scared because it’s the unknown – it’s new. Same thing with a new business or service or product. You may be feeling that because you don’t have any experience of offering a new service that you need to offer it for FREE. Or maybe, it’s just a lack of confidence.
Either way, I’d like to give an alternative to working for FREE (or a testimonial which if you really think about it is FREE). It’s called a Launch Special. Before I dive into the details of a Launch Special, I’d like to take a second to clarify something.
Expertise And Experience
When I say offering a new service, I am talking about having the expertise just not the actual experience of working with a client. I’m not advocating offering a service for something you have NO knowledge of. Unfortunately, I have to add that because there are people who do offer services they know nothing about. That’s much different than having the expertise but not the experience. These are the people (the ones who say they know something when they don’t) that give the whole industry – our industry – a black eye.
OK… back to Launch Specials.
What’s A Launch Special?
Let me break it down for ya!
It’s a creative way to offer discounts on new services or products INSTEAD of offering them for FREE. (Not yelling just for emphasis). You call it a “Launch Special” and then explain exactly what it is.
In Which Situation You Can Use It
It could be you’re doing a launch special for
- a brand new service you’re offering
- or you’ve just launched your new business
- or you’re offering new packages.
What You Should Include
Whatever it is – you introduce it to your dream clients as a Launch Special that includes
- A limited-time discounted rate.
- Then you can go into the specifics of how much they save, for how long, etc.
- Be sure you build in scarcity. For example, a limited number of clients or for a limited amount of time and stick to it.
That’s it… that simple!
You can even use a Launch Special for a business re-brand! Be creative and use it anytime you want to offer a discount on something in your business.
Value your expertise and your time – you are worth it. Stop giving it away for free or next to nothing.
What’s The Benefit Of Using Launch Specials?
Besides getting paid for something you were giving away for free they allow you to discount your rates, bundle packages, services, products, and provide more value for your clients. It’s a win-win.
Tips On Launch Specials
- Build some hype around it. Write a blog post, do a Facebook Live, share it on your social media profiles, etc. Get people excited about it!
- Focus on everything they get. Focus on the benefits your clients get when they purchase. How does it affect them and their business + life?
- Make it look professional. Create a simple sales page that focuses on why they should invest in your Launch Special. Add a logo and some product mockups to make it POP.
- Get creative. Use your creativity with what you create and what you call it. It doesn’t have to be a “Launch Special”. You can even create a special coupon code to give out.
- Create one. Next time you have the urge to give your expertise away for FREE, create a Launch Special instead – remember your expertise is valuable and so are you! You deserve to be paid for it!
Ok… so now you know what Launch Specials are and how to use them.
I’d love to know two things…
- What do you think? Does it sound like something you want to create?
- Will you share your Launch Special with me? I’d love to see it when you’ve got it ready. Feel free to come back here and share it below in the comments for all to see! Sharing inspires others.
Thanks for taking the time to read this – much appreciated.
And… if you feel like sharing, please do so below. I’d love to hear from you! All comments and questions are welcome.
Thanks for reading – Susan